|Healthier Pizza When Eating Out or Ordering In||
- Order thin crust pizza. Not only will you cut your carbohydrate intake, but you will also reduce the number of calories you eat.
- Ask for half the cheese. Pizzerias are used to people ordering double cheese, so it is easy for them to accommodate you if you are asking for the opposite. This will cut your fat intake without altering the flavor much at all. It also means less salt and fewer calories. And if you really want to go for it, skip the cheese all together.
- Limit or eliminate the meats. The processed meats added to pizzas are full of sodium, saturated fat, and calories. Cutting down on these toppings makes for a healthier pizza. If you really want some meat flavor, order only one type of meat instead of several. You can also choose meats that are better for you. Meats lower in fat include chicken, Canadian bacon, and ham.
- Get lots of veggies. Vegetables are naturally low in fat and will boost the nutritional value of your pizza. You get lots of antioxidants and vitamins from vegetables, plus they add lots of flavor. Adding veggies instead of other high-fat toppings will also reduce the calorie count of your pizza.
- Eat a salad along with your slice. As long as you are not loading up on the croutons, bacon bits, and high calorie dressing, a salad is a great way to help fill you up without adding too many calories.
- Watch out for the extras. Dipping sauces, garlic butter, hot wings, and breadsticks can sabotage your best healthy effort. These extras are almost always loaded with fat and calories.
- Skip the soda. The empty calories in soda will just make for a less healthy pizza-eating experience. Instead, have water or unsweetened iced tea.